Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sun lin fai la!

Happy Chinese New Year!

I had a post all planned out today but I left it in the backseat of my mother's car. It was printed on the menu of the restaurant where we had our New Year dinner - the Joy Fortune Restaurnt.

Ironically, it was a list. A list I wanted to post in a blog. Har har har.

There were about 20 rules basically about when to say things. A few that I still recall are:

When you have something:
  1. Good to say, say it at the right occasion.
  2. Sad to share, be considerate and don't share it with every person you meet.
  3. Important to say, say it slowly.
  4. Insignifcant to say, say it humorously.
  5. You have to do, do it before you talk about it.
  6. Hurtful to say, don't say it.
  7. To say about someone else, be careful what you say.
  8. To discuss about yourself, listen to your heart.
CNY (Chinese New Year, Sun Lin) is about horoscopes, dragon dancing, 10 course meals, money and personal reflection. Proverbs old and new being thrown across the Lazy Susans filled with steaming dims sum... I wondered if the way we ate dinner was directly influenced by communism: everyone eats from the same plate, you eat what you can, and not a morsel of food is allowed to be wasted by the male members of the family.

For most of my life growing up, I discounted my family because they couldn't understand me. Now that I'm a little older, I feel like there's so much that I haven't tried to understand about them. It's so easy to take for granted your own culture when being Chinese is just part of being alive. But it struck me as a shame that I didn't know more about my home country's history.

We don't really do "resolutions", but every year we wish each other good health, good work and good fortune. As I look forward in the following Chinese calendar year, I will dedicate to learning more about my cultural background.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home