Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Comme il fait...

La Filme

I watched Charlie & the Chocolate Factory on Sunday and it was disappointing. In a nutshell, these were my main problems with it:


  • The Oompa Loompa Musical Sequences (not just because the original was perfect - they just totally over-did it)
  • The Character Developments and Relationships (the relationships between the parents and the kids weren't as clear as they should've been since this is a big theme in the book, and especially lacking was the relationship between Charlie and Grandpa Joe)
  • Johnny Depp (yes, I said it - JOHNNY DEPP was a big problem. He was wayyyy too creepy! Too much Michael Jackson, not enough Jean Wilder.)

But there were other things I loved about the movie:


  • The Look (Tim Burton never fails.)
  • The Musical Score - minus the Oompa Loompa shit (Again, another area where Tim Burton is always extraodinary.)
  • The Cast (everyone looked and sounded like characters from the books, and the acting was perfect - if only Johnny Depp didn't make Willy Wonka so unnecessarily creepy)
I'm really looking forward to see The Corpse Bride - the next Tim Burton movie. It's claymation like Nightmare Before Christmas which was an amazing film. Johnny Depp is the voice of the main character - big surprise! But Emily Lee is in it and she's always very charming, so I think it will turn out to be a very well-rounded cast of characters.


La Musique

Ryan's trying to get me to listen to a band called The Coral. Even he admits that it's a bit boring. I think it's groin-numbingly boring. Mmm... I love using the word groin. Obscenity is so much fun! There is no fun in being politically correct or polite all the time. You have to be those things most of the time to make the occasional boughts of obscenity special. If you're obscene all the time, then you're just an asshole (look at Charles Bukowski!), and you'll die a lonely, angry man.

But back to the music thing - it's really difficult for me to get into new music. The main problem is my job. Although I can blast music in reception all day, I can only mentally register like 5 songs because of all the distractions. That's why I always put on my favourite play list - 140 hand-picked songs, so if I ever have a free moment to listen to music, it'll be guaranteed something I like. On the days when I'm actually trying to try out a new album, I put three on rotation and just keep listening to them the entire day. Usually by the end of the day, I'll have some favourite songs picked out to put on my play list.

I find it really difficult to get into new music. It's like new songs have to fight my old songs for a spot in my brain. This is probably why songs from movie soundtracks always make it because of the additional emotional value that song will already possess.


La Livre

That's enough rambling for today, I think. I should make some time to read On the Road (J. Kerouac) - Ryan's copy which I suspect was stolen from The Aurora Public Library (the stamp inside gives it away). Ryan has agreed to read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers finally! It's one of my favourite books, I recommend it to anyone with any kind of literary interest at all.

2 Comments:

Blogger min_o said...

yeah, it was definately disappointing. what was really weird tho, i watched it at The Varsity so there were all these rich parents and their rich little kids there, and the only people who laughed during the entire movie (except when Willy walks into the glass elevator) were the parents. they were trying to lighten up the mood because the movie wasn't funny - not even for little kids. sight - stupid parents. ruined it for everyone.

12:33 PM  
Blogger min_o said...

no one said u couldn't bring a girl. BRING A GIRL! just no psycho-babbling matricide types, plz.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home