Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Min_o sez...

What's with all the fucking product promotions I've been doing on my blog?




Vice

I don't need to tell you that Vice is an awesome magazine. Everyone knows that already. But did you KNOW that they'll send you a free CD full of sometimes-awesome-sometimes-really-weird music and a DVD of videos-you've-never-seen-before-because-they're-so-fucked-up-and-or-shitty if you subscribe? I know it's a free magazine. I know you can pick up a copy at Metropolis Records and the Vice store that is now located on the far West side of Queen St. But come on... I did the math. If I went downtown on the streetcar, it costs $2.50 each way ($5 round trip). You do that for 10 months (the subscription is for 10 issues) - and you're out like $50. I spent $35 in December and have received every issue PLUS a free CD&DVD in my mailbox minus the headache of being downtown and it's all wrapped in very environmentally-unfriendly plastic so every issue is pristine and shiney. HAH!



Believer

Haven't read it yet, but it looks fucking awesome. It's published by McSweeneys, whom I heard of after reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Ryan heard about it somehow and got a subscription because of the music issue which includes a free compilation CD of covers of really good bands (yeah, we're both free-CD-whores). There are no pictures or ads in the whole thing, and it's basically a book with excerpts from other books so basically you have the luxury of sampling new books in the comfort of your own home before you go out to buy it. They also have interviews with different authors (and in this issue with musicians like Beck) and editorials. I've found that all McSweeney authors have great prose and wit, and it's a real pleasure to read anything they compose - even a fake geological book about giraffes (best fucking giraffe book I've ever read - kicks Jim Giraffe to the fucking curb).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home