Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Goddamn Baby Boomers!

I got a new issue of Vice - the Baby Boomer Bashing issue. I don't know a lot about economics and history and shit, but the idea of blaming most of North America's problems on one generation is pretty stupid. These "baby boomers" are part of what I like to call Human Beings. And through years of evolution, we've become ever more self-centred and greedy, so what makes Vice think that we're going to be "better" than our moms and dads? One can hope of course, and that's why I'm planning on having children no matter how fucked up this world gets because it's about the most meaningful contribution to mankind I could leave behind. Everything else like my work and my house and my car and my money won't mean much in the grand scope of things once I'm gone.

Vice does raise a lot of really good points, which I won't get into (grab your own copy if you're curious). Although I don't hate baby boomers (how can anyone EVEN VICE hate the hand that raised and fed them???), I do see the consequences of our ego-centric behaviour. All humans are ego-centric - were people made as a reflection of God or was it vice versa? But one thing we used to have that we somehow lost incidentally during the baby boomer's generation was the honouring of one's family. And I don't mean going to family get-togethers and staying in touch because that's more about you than about the family. I'm talking about family values.

In my mom's generation, everyone got divorces. That to me was the biggest offence those goddamn baby boomers made to our society. People started thinking only about themselves - and they fucking forgot about the children! Now those children think that divorce is OK - they survived it, their kids will too. But we lose sight of the fact that divorce really fucking sucks for kids and you can't ever make it up to them no matter what you do to try to make their lives better. No matter how many sacrifices, your kids will always kind of hate you for not giving them a real family. Maybe that's is just me talking.

Anyway, my point is that all those strong family values supported by society and religion are gone. Once you've given everyone the personal freedom to do basically whatever the fuck they want, you can't enforce any laws on them. God knows, I'd be the first to riot if someone told me I was NOT allowed to get a divorce. But maybe there's another better way. What if we simply taught our children to value families, to value others, and to value ourselves all at the same time. That it doesn't have to be ME vs. YOU. What about that, Dr. Phil?

Yes, this is the idealist talking.

Ah... well, what do I know anyway? I'm just pissed because on top of everything else, thanks to those goddamn baby boomers, the cost of a post-secondary education far (and beyond) exceeds its value now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Pazzol said...

I always thought that Baby Boomers sounded like the name of a practical joke-diaper.

Don't let the staggering cost of higher education get you down. Think of it that bill as the new coming-of-age-initiation that we all share. Finacial Scarification, perhaps?

Ice Cream makes it all go away. . .

6:42 PM  
Blogger Datura said...

Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Therapy.
I dare you.

12:08 PM  
Blogger sweaty said...

after reading your post, i am again (you have no idea how many agains there are before that one) so grateful that i got divorced before any "oh shit, i think i'm pregnant" scenarios occurred... and for other reasons too. :)))

i hated that i had to, was glad that i could, and intend to never ever ever have to do it again with anyone.

i thank the BBs for changing shit up from the 50s mentality of their parents. what if they hadn't thought for themselves? the 70s kick the 50s ass any day.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home