Saturday, September 03, 2005

The SOUND of Silence

I survived the first night without Ryan. Not without its costs, though. When I got home, my restlessness inspired me to mop the floor at the door and in the kitchen. I did all the dishes. I cleaned the coffee table. The only thing that was going to help me relax and sit down was pot. I know this from experience. And so, I smoked and smoked and smoked, watched The Wedding Crashers and Alfie (both movies I know Ryan wouldn't mind missing). I ate a lot of garbage including 3 soft boiled eggs over the course of the evening because in my pot-induced stupor, that sounded really tasty. I slept on and off throughout the night and finally crawled into bed at 6:45 a.m. I woke up with a sore stomach from the eggs and now I'm waiting it out til I make myself some breakfast and go out for the day. There's Bedouin Sound Clash in the background and my dog is under my chair licking my foot.

Dolly Parton was amazing. We had middle-section seats next to a very old couple - the lady of which fell asleep near the beginning of the show, sleeping soundly on the boney old shoulder of her husband who undoubtedly only came because of is wife. It was a great show - Dolly is a gifted artist and a talented performer. She played everything from the banjo to the harpsichord and she sang a mix of her old classics as well as some covers from the 60s and 70s. She has such a beautiful voice that I seriously wanted to cry during her performance of I Will Always Love You. When you watch Whitney Houston sing the same song, you're expecting her to drop dead from the strain in her voice, but when Dolly does it, it's so effortless and pure. She ended her encore with a cover of John Lennon's Imagine in light of the world's current political and environmental situation. I know it's cheesey, but a. it's Dolly! and b. maybe there's a reason why so many artists feel the desire to cover that song. It's undeniable that it's a beautiful song. It's a song that has meaning and is essentially timeless. Maybe people want to sing that song because they want to continue to move people with that message. I hope in 30 years, I'll still hear new bands cover Imagine. Cheesey as it may be, it's one of my all-time favourite songs.

So today is my shopping day. I'm going to buy myself some new glasses and some school supplies. I'm going to sit at a café somewhere and read. I'm going to go to The Bloor Cinema to watch The March of the Penguins. I might even visit Olivier at his gallery. I'm looking forward to a day to myself, and really it's the night I dread when Ryan is not next to me while I sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home