Thursday, August 18, 2005

On the FlipSide

Unbeknownst to me, the class I attended tonight is actually the last class of my 8-week session (I believe they're ripping me off one class...). I've already signed up for next Thursday's Pop'n'Lock workshop so this dance odyssey continues. I'm probably going to retake the beginner's program (same teacher - same crowd) just because I still don't have the basics down yet. I have to admit though, for an 8-week course - I learned A LOT. And I think I'm in slightly better shape too.

This week - there are no bruises. Just some strained back muscles from trying to do the coffee grinder (when you swing one of your legs around in circles with your hand on the ground to keep you balanced). We learned a little bit more fancy footwork (a little too fancy for my abilities, but you know - you try), and there was this really easy step that helps lead you into the dance, but for some reason I just couldn't get it. I know I'm not co-ordinated, but this was almost just walking.

Frost (my dancing sensei) told us to rock our body and to "feel" the music. I hate how cheesey that sounds, but that's how I got it. I just kept rockin' and listenin' until my body was doing what the music was telling me to. Then it really hit me that in order to break dance, you have to know what to listen for in the music. The music can actually teach you how to dance. I know this all sounds obvious, but seriously, knowing it intellectual and actually letting your body do it are two very different things.

The two things that have kept me from progessing has been this:

a. My obsession with control and logistics. I have a lot of trouble letting go lest I look foolish or I fall on my ass/face/elbow/knee/etc.

b. The music actually distracts me because I'm so used to listening to music. Especially when I hear a song I really like, my immediate reaction isn't to dance to it, it's to listen. Can't help it - in the winter, I live in my headphones.

And so, my plan is to, well, definately start practicing more. Now that I have that beautiful piece of cardboard, I have NO excuses (kick my ass if you find out I'm slacking please I'll thank you for it). And I have to start listening to a LOT more breakbeats. No more Black Eyed Peas, K-OS, Beastie Boys... I mean I love them, but I need more. MOREMOREMOREMOREMOREMORE! I need different kinds of beats, with different sounds, different distractions that I need to learn to ignore (or use). Now that I have so many basic steps floating around in my head, I need songs to apply them to and I have to admit that B-Boy Stance (K-OS) is not exactly the most interesting song to dance to.

As you know, I'm not going to be around tomorrow (Friday) because I'll be going to BIG FOOT! So, as a bonus and because I'm at home where I have lots of pictures, here are some photos of my life.


This is a scene from OM 2004.


This is Elisa and Jen, my homegirls from college. Elisa is an asshole (and that's why I love her), and Jen is also an asshole (same dealio).

This is Claire, my babygirl. I found her when she was less than 2 weeks old, covered with flees in a box outside my apartment. She had two siblings who couldn't make it overnight. It was very sad, but Claire pulled through. She's a tough kittenhead, and I love her with all my heart. She's a lot bigger now, and she lives with my exboyfriend. I don't get to see her, but I think about her all the time. The reason why I don't have her is because Ryan is allergic. I used to think people who would give away their pets just because some stupid boyfriend/girlfriend was allergic was a lot of bullshit, but the only time Ryan ever met Claire, he couldn't breathe after an hour, and was sick for a week. I know Claire understands. And I know she's well cared for, and that's all I could ever ask for for her. She knows I'll always love her. She's named after Clarice Starling from Silence of the Lambs.


This is Ryan and I at Halloween 2004.

That's all for now. Hope you guys have an amazing weekend and look out for my post-Big Foot... um... post!

4 Comments:

Blogger Frosted said...

The school girl outfit is hawt... I can say that without it being creepy can't I? no? damn :( Tell your instructor to stop stealing my gig!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Matthew Pazzol said...

I've always thought a giant ball-sack and weenie-backed chair would be cozy.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Frosted said...

I didn't do it!

8:36 AM  
Blogger min_o said...

OMG that's brutal... is there anything that doesn't get spammed these days?

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home