Sunday, September 04, 2005

Spirit of Idea Sharing

I didn't get a chance to go to the Island or go watch March of the Penguins yesterday. I stopped by a friend's art gallery/studio/home yesterday, Olivier, and I got caught up talking with the people who were there: Allan, an older British gentleman hair stylist, and Yehodha, a Jewish painter who looks a LOT like Adrien Brody but he wears thick black round rim glasses and when we talks to you, his mind moves so fast that you feel like you're being taken on a mental ride because he's throwing all kinds of information at you and everything makes sense, but he does it so fast you don't even have time to digest what he says, you just follow him around and when he's finished, he looks at you through those big circle glasses and you agree. That's all you can do. Allan is a sweet old guy with all this wonderful British charm that you just want to take him out for a pint and let him entertain you all night. Olivier does not seem his age, he seems completely ageless with this boundless energy that keeps him moving from place to place, he likes to fiddle with things like his turn table and play psytrance in the middle of the night and loud but he can because he doesn't live in a residential neighbourhood. And you kind of have to listen to psytrance loud, I think, to feel the vibrations of the bass. He's got this cat that's a psycat because she doesn't run away from the music as you'd think a cat might do because it is rather overwhelming, even to human ears, but she loved it. She would just lie there and you can watch her eyes glaze over and her tail switch just off beat to the music and next thing you know, she's on her back with her little feet up in the air and she's tripping out so luxuriously, I couldn't help but wish that I could be her just for the night and be a psycat too.

Anyway, I was there pretty much all night, surrounded by paintings and art people, who don't really talk a lot about art, but they never stop talking about ideas. Everything becomes a subject and every subject is worth at least a 10 minute discussion. I guess some people would call it mindless, but after a night of pretty intense talking, my mind feels so relaxed. I feel like I don't have to think about anything at all except what I'm going to have for breakfast. I think the mind needs to be exercised by this kind of stimulation, at least every once in awhile. These people don't talk about books or movies or TV, they talk about how things work, they talk about society, different societies, and cause and effect and proportion and behaviour and all these things that maybe we're too busy to think about let alone talk about, but they make time for it. And it may not have a lot of relevance to every day life, but it does because it's stuff we see around us all the time.

I guess I'm a little infected by it, just from the way I'm writing, I can tell I've been swept up in the whole spirit of idea sharing. It will die down after awhile, and I'll be back to my old self, not to say I don't like that self, because I do, but it's nice to feel a little different once in awhile. I feel like my brain has been charged up and I can take on any kind of mental and physical task because it's all just energy. This afternoon, after I've had some exercise and eaten something, I will start painting. And if I'm done before 10 p.m. tonight, I'll be going back to the gallery for a real artsy fartsy party where I'll be surrounded by artists and god knows what I'll do or say, but it's terribly exciting for me because this may be my last chance to be around really creative people before I go back to school and have to deal with those so-called "creative advertising" assholes who think they can think outside the box, but really they just invented themselves an even bigger box to think inside.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Pazzol said...

You need to hang out with these new friends every chance you get. It sounds like a really great and unique crowd. The inspiration you get from them will kick the ass out of anything you will ever learn in an academic situation (and that coming from the guy who placed into the best grad school for his department in the states and after a year said, "fuck you all. . . and good riddance").

but seriously, get everything you can out of this group. I gaurantee it will be THE education you look back on and cherish.

And you owe that to yourself.

6:22 PM  
Blogger min_o said...

you know this is so weird - i was just about to leave to go to their party and was starting to get nervous (i don't know anyone there, i'm really young compared to most of them, am i over dressed, do i look stupid in this outfit, I HAVE A BIG ASS PIMPLE ON MY NOSE - yes i'm THAT young) so i decided to go check my e-mail and was just checking into my blog and you wrote THIS and it makes me so happy that you did because it's just what i needed to convince myself to go before i wind up stoned out of my head and back on the couch where i usually hide. THANKS!!! =D

7:24 PM  
Blogger Matthew Pazzol said...

That's what internet friends are for!

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home