Monday, November 07, 2005

Two Saturday Nights in One

On Saturday night, I had one of those evenings where it feels like two separate evenings in one night.

Part I

The first half, I attended my friend Rita's birthday party. It was at this Italian restaurant on Front Street that was fancy, but still trying to do a casual Jack Astor's thing at the same time. I don't get that. Do people make restaurants like that because there are rich people out there who get tired of being in fancy places all the time, so they go to places like this when they're slumming, but they won't have to get their hands dirty? I dunno!

I've forgotten what Chinese people are like in their mid to late twenties! Maybe I was just sitting at the boring end of the table, but all these people talked about were what universities they went to, what degrees they got, and what jobs they're looking for. In fact, the only difference between Chinese people in their mid-20's and in high school is cars and the amount of disposable income they have. I felt like I was back in Scarborough again. I played the crazy white-wash person who told crass and crazy stories all night just to fill that awkward silence. Chinese people are not usually very good at mingling.

The night ended at 10:30 with a nice group picture outside of the restaurant. I decided not to be in the picture because my coat wasn't cute enough. That's not really true, my shoes sucked too. Nah, the truth is, I was embarrassed at being part of a huge group of Chinese people all lined up together, the girls hooking arms, in front of a tacky expensive Italian restaurant. I'm a snob. I suck. In my mind, the only Chinese people I'd willingly do that with is my family and the BAC (my close friends from high school) cuz it's tradition. Other than that, I find it difficult to force a smile.

So no one wanted to go out for drinks. This was disappointing. I ended up getting dropped off at Tequila Bookworm where I read a Vogue article about the woman who started Vogue China. It was awesome! I hope I get to do something so exciting one day, although I'm not sure if I'd want to live in China - even temporarily. It's so much fun to visit, but the hustle and bustle of that country can feel incessant and soul draining if you're not used to it.

Part II

When Tequila closed, I reluctantly boarded the streetcar home, and played with the idea of going into the Gladstone to see what was going on. It's Kareoke Night every Saturday! Of course, being a non-drinker, there is less incentive to walk into a bar alone. Fortunately, I bumped into my old friend Paulo smoking outside. He was having a drink with Devin, who was inside flirting (or being flirted with) by a very loud woman so Paulo and I made fun of him all night. Devin went up to sing an Elton John number, which undoubtedly only fueled this woman's affections for him because Devin has a voice like an angel.

The three of us left the bar, just as the sky collapsed from heavy rain, and we hooked arms and ran with only my tiny collapsable umbrella to shield us. We ended up going back to my place for some smokey until Ryan came home shortly after. He was surprised to find that I had relinquished my rolling duties to Paulo, who is the King. I learned how to roll under the table by observing him.

It felt so good to have my old friends meet my new boyfriend. Paulo was a very good friend of my ex-boyfriend, and Devin is actually his older brother. But it didn't feel awkward at all. It's been difficult for me to make new friends over the years, and sometimes I worry that the good friends I've made are just going to fade away with time. Friendships only last though when both people really want it, and it doesn't matter how frequently or in-frequently you speak to each other.

Speaking of friends, my dear friend Maya had her baby super prematurely, born at only one and a half pounds. I'm so worried about her... but there's nothing I can do. =(

6 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Pazzol said...

Man, i coulda used one saturday night.

I think when you really deserve it, fun and euphoria meet you half way if you put out the effort. . . way to save a lame night!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Datura said...

we'll have to go for redbean bubble tea in china town again, and find you some "cute" shoes. and a jacket. and a sparkle shrug or something..oh and an armadillo to complete the ridiculousness of this insecurity. its good to be different, its just more akward when you're at a cookie cutter dinner table and you don't fit in.
experiences like that only make you remember who you really are...thank god. sometimes we all need those reminders. you're brave.
:P

12:45 PM  
Blogger min_o said...

don't wait too long to come out with me, k, or i'll forget who i am completely. this blog helps tho, godblessit.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Datura said...

haha you're min-cheng! that will be your new chinese name. none of this dzi child stuff...i hope it doesn't mean something bazzare and offensive. but then again that would be funny.

~ka-lai si
(pretty-turd)
*sigh

10:14 AM  
Blogger min_o said...

i'm feeling really chinese these days, are u? ;) MISS U

1:07 PM  
Blogger Datura said...

...by default.


i'm getting a car! i can come see you after work.
:)

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home