Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Art of Being Min

I'm a blog-junkie. It's just so goddamn relaxing and satisfying. There's really nothing more gratifying than seeing your opinions and experiences published online - published anywhere! If I could see my words in print - even better! But on a blog, you also get all these nice people (datura, frosted, clownboy, du hast smoke!) reading it regularily and responding... it's a little like being famous and it's a little like having friends. It's so cool using these blogger names too - after all, isn't that what being part of the world wide web in the new millenium is all about?


The art is by Colin Stark - found on www.colinstark.com.


Who I am online is not who I am in real life. It's always been this way. Since I first got the Internet when I was 12, I've been a chat junkie. The very idea of being able to communicate with total strangers around the world was so enticing that by the age of 13, I had an ICQ list of 160 - most of whom were older folk in the States (even some Quake II clansmen). That may be the reason why I never really fit in at school or amongst other people my age. No one else I knew was really into chatting with strangers. I love strangers. Even now (especially now) there's nothing I like to do more than meet some cool strangers and force them to be my friends.

But like I was saying, I'm different online. When I write online, I write big. I write aggressive. I write deep. I write obscene. I write glib. I write sarcastic. In "real life", I talk nice. I talk quiet. I talk honest. I listen. Datura said my last post sounded intimidating - like I was some trendy city-girl who knew what was what. As much as I love that she thought that because yes, a part of me does aspire to be That Kind of Girl, I really am not. I don't go to parties. I don't really have a lot of friends in the city (or in general). I don't drink or do coke. I don't go see plays or visit galleries very often (although I'd like to). I don't go to see local bands play (because honestly - too many of them really suck so I don't go unless someone trustworthy recommends them, which happens rarer than you'd think). I don't have a lot of really cool trendy clothes (working on it!). I don't do any real art-art - nothing gallery-worthy anyway. So yeah... tons of stuff I don't do that would disqualify me as a trendy city-girl who knows what's what. What I do have is a healthy self-esteem and a decent vocabulary to express my opinions.

This is not who I used to be, and this is not who I will be tomorrow - but it is enough to get me through today at least.

1 Comments:

Blogger min_o said...

what's a cronic??? a pothead??? i'm no pothead, either...

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home