Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Min_o's Guide to Whatever

What a glorious four-day weekend that ended in a big haze of smoke that left me still a little dizzy in the morning on the streetcar ride to work. I don't usually frown, but I could feel the sides of my face succumbing to gravity this morning as I made my way downtown. Late. Again.

Reilly arrived on Thursday night and I got to pick him up at the airport with a sign: jesus WITH AN H. If I were a better prankster, I would've just written: JESUS, but instead, I was worried about insulting all those wholesome looking old Calgarians on CanWest 108 so I kept the sign folded til I spotted Reilly's riot of red curls and I held the sign up for all of 2 seconds, long enough for him to register, but not long enough for anyone else to read it. I'm a fucking pussy.

I also dotted the lower-case J with a heart to keep it light-hearted.

I hadn't planned anything special for Reilly's arrival as I did not know his conference schedule. He's in town for a psychiatric conference at the convention centre. The only one he attended thus far was on hypnosis on Saturday, but he didn't actually learn how to hypnotize anyone, only how to clinically check a person's level of susceptance. I think I just made that word up.

Datura and our friends from Beeton, Wes and Amanda came down to meet Reilly and we saw The Ghost is Dancing at the Drake Underground. They opened but were so obviously better than The Coast and Tokyo Police Club who bored us to death. They were lucky to have The Ghost is Dancing open for them because they can pump up any crowd. This time, instead of balloon hats, they wore tinfoil hats, arm bands and leg warmers, which were on sale at the merch stand for free or best offer. To summarize the night, which was too hilarious and in-the-moment to recount, here are some key words: YOU ARE POWER and lesbian sex in the Pizza Pizza washroom. Yes, just another trendy night in Parkdale. There sure are a lot of platinum dyed cougars at the Drake upstairs.

Sunday, Ryan and I whipped up some William Sonoma style French toast that tasted more like bread pudding, and while Datura went back to Newmarket, Reilly, Ryan and I took advantage of our "first" visit to the YMCA by swimming and playing monkey-in-the-middle (or as they call it in Calgary - PIG-in-the-middle). I tried to sit in the dirty whirlpool, but the angry looking older Greek woman who came in made me uncomfortable so I went to sit in the sauna with two African women who spoke a language I didn't understand. It's been a long time since I've been in a sauna, but I found it really difficult to relax because it's like your skin's going to melt and your head's going to explode and your lungs are going to burst all at the same time. I tried to do some yoga-style breathing and posturing, but to no avail. We then played some basketball, but I realised that my basketball skills have not progressed past grade 10 gym, and I dribble like a girl.

On Victoria Day, we decided to take Reilly to see Niagara Falls, just because... meh. Nothing else to do! If the weather was nicer, we wanted to take him up north somewhere like Jackson's Point for a picnic, but it wasn't worth the drive in the miserable weather. Highlights of Niagara Falls: Hamilton IS the asshole of Ontario, funnel cake, and all-you-can-eat buffet. We were back in the city well before dark, and missed the fireworks because the boys wanted to watch the end of the hockey game. I was really disappointed because I had rolled a celebratory hash joint as a farewell salute to my winter dopey days, and instead we had to smoke it in the dark while looking into the black lake below. Ryan discovered a very very masonic fountain at Exhibition Place - one that most people would overlook due to its tackiness and almost random super-obvious symbolism: a winged angel on top of a sphere held up by a pyrmid of sphinx.

Hurrah for national holidays! Thank god I don't work retail! Too bad I don't make any money at all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Pazzol said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home